how much gold is allowed in india
- Author- Ridhi
- Publish Date-
People in India enjoy shopping for gold jewellery whether it is the wedding season or the festive season they love buying gold. As known by everyone that Dubai is famous for its Iconic architecture, skyscrapers, and events it also famous for luxury shopping, and gold. A huge reason why the localities in Dubai convert their savings into Gold and gold jewelry. The ICBI refers to Indian Central Board of Indirect Taxes and customs had imposed a gold limit from Dubai to India a few years back from now. Because Indian’s are huge consumers of gold, this limit was being put for carrying gold from Dubai to India. In this article, we will about how much cash and gold can I carry to india. So read and find out.
READ ALSO: 30 DAYS DUBAI VISA
About Gold Limit from Dubai to India
The main reasons for locals in Dubai and from India to buy Gold are the lower prices and the Best quality of gold. One of the most famous places to buy gold is The Deira Gold Souk, people from different regions and communities come and buy gold from here. Over few years the gold import to India from Dubai and other emirates has affected the restrictive Custom duty in India.
According to the CBIC – Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs website, any passenger from India who has been a resident to an abroad country for more than a year and has a valid Indian passport issued under the Passport Act 1967 is eligible to bring gold jewellery to India in their baggage.
READ ALSO: 90 DAYS SINGLE ENTRY DUBAI VISA
Dubai Duty-free gold import limit to India from Dubai
- Gold jewellery with an average weight of 20 grams and a maximum value of INR 50,000 for the male passenger is exempted from customs duty.
- Gold jewellery with an average weight of 40 grams and a maximum value of INR 1,00,000 for female passengers is exempted from customs duty.
These duty-free permits on gold jewellery from Dubai to India apply for children as well. Given that they have stayed in Dubai or Abroad for more than a year. The quantity exempted for males is 20 grams and 40 grams of gold quantity is exempted for females passengers limit.
While bringing the gold in their baggage from Dubai to India, the passengers should keep in mind that the duty-free permit is only for gold jewellery and not bars and coins. If gold coins and bars to imported to India then there are customs duty fees applied to it. And also, if your passport is about to expire soon, do not forget to apply for renewal before bringing the gold to India. Passengers with a valid passport, who have stayed in abroad countries more than 6 months, are allowed to bring in 1 kg gold in bars and also coins from Dubai. If they cross the limit of carrying those bars and coins, they will have to pay the customs duty fee charges. There is a hike by 10% and 12.5% of customs duty on gold from Dubai to India in the year 2019.
On the UAE embassy website the maximum gold a passenger can carry to India from Dubai is 10kgs and one should not exceed that. It includes the entire gold weight a passenger is carrying, including the jewellery. The customs duty on coins and bars more than 1kg is 36.05%. It is very fairly uncommon to witness people taking gold where it is exceeding 1kg.
READ ALSO: 30 DAYS MULTIPLE ENTRY DUBAI TOURIST VISA
Terms and conditions for importing gold exceeding the limits set:
- On all the excess gold carried the customs duty should be paid in convertible currency.
- The passenger carrying the gold should show all the needed documents of the purchase to avoid seizures of goods at the airport.
- The information of the gold bar must include the weight, manufactured by, and also the serial number. Gold bars should have all the required inscriptions.
- The passenger importing 1kg and more gold should not have brought any precious metals and gemstones that exceeded the limit in the previous 6 months.
- Jewellery studded with gemstones and pearls is not permitted to import from India.
- The passenger failing to meet the necessary rules and terms will lead to detention, prosecution or confiscation until the completion of all the documentation and paperwork for the same.
- The passenger can import the gold 15 days before their travel as unaccompanied baggage to India or checked baggage with them.
- The traveller or passenger will also have to file a detailed declaration form before the customs officer when they arrive in India.
- They will also have to tell the reason why they are buying the quantity of gold and also pay the customs duty before the clearance.
There are various reasons why the person is buying gold and imported it to India from Dubai. As every individual across the world knows that Dubai is known for Authentic gold Land. These conditions are put forth to avoid and stop gold smuggling. This was all about how much cash and gold can I carry to india. So get your Dubai Visa from Dubai E Visa Online and visit the nation and buy the best of quality gold.