dubai driving the rules of the road
- Author- Dubai Visa Online
- Publish Date-
The public transport network of Dubai runs under the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) and Dubai police which plays a key role in ensuring that the traffic rules and regulations have been followed strictly by the people. A system of White Points will be awarded to those driving cars which abides by the traffic rules and regulations issued by the RTA and similarly Black points for those who break these rules and regulations. As per the new regulations, which came into effect from 1st of July 2017, to protect the lives and reduce the traffic casualties RTA is trying to reduce the traffic from 6 per 100,000 people to 3 per 100,000 people.
Read Also: Dubai Visa For Cambodia Passport Holder
Driving eligibility in Dubai
One needs a valid international driving license, a UAE license, or a license from an approved country to drive on Dubai roads which are considered one of the best in the whole world. As in any other country, Dubai also follows its criteria to issue a driver's license to its citizens, GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) nationals and other nationalities.
Read Also: Entry Requirements For Travel Dubai
Below 21 years of age
If a driver's license has been issued to the person below the age of 21 years, it will be valid only up to 1 year.
For 21 years of age and above
- The issued license will be valid for up to 2 years for its citizens, GCC nationals, and other nationalities.
- After the renewal, the license will be valid for up to 5 years for nationalities and 10 years for the citizens and GCC nationals.
Read Also: Dubai Visa For Burkina Faso Passport Holder
Rules and regulations to be followed while driving
Generally, the speed limits are marked on the road signs clearly. However, the ideal speed limit varies depending on the type of road and area. Different speed limits are mentioned below which the drivers can follow:
- Motorways- Maximum 100-120 km/hr and minimum 60 km/hr
- Urban areas- 40-80 km/hr
- Residential areas- 40 km/hr
- Parking areas or services- 25km/hr
For those exceeding the speed limits will be fined accordingly:
- AED 3000
- 23 black points
- The car will be impounded for 60 days
Read Also: Dubai Visa For Burundi Passport Holder
2.Vehicle safety rules
Safety rules should be followed while driving to stay safe and not be fined.
- All the people in the vehicle should wear seat belts irrespective of their sitting in the front or back seat.
- Child safety seats should be provided in the vehicle for the children up to the age of four.
- The ideal height of the front seat passenger should be at least 145 cm
- The front passenger's age should not be less than 10 years.
Failed to comply with the first two points the vehicle will be fined with AED 400 and 4 black points. If a person is found using mobile phones then a fine of AED 800 and four black points will be imposed.
Drivers can't overtake a vehicle from the right side. Failed to comply so they will be fined. An overtaking from the left side is only permissible.
Read Also: Dubai Visa For Botswana Passport Holder
4.Drink and drive
A hefty traffic fine, elimination of the vehicle, or even confinement and suspension of the driving license for one year will be faced if a person is found under the influence of drugs or alcohol while driving.
5.The behavior of the driver
Multiple initiatives have been taken by traffic authorities and municipal corporations to keep the city clean. If a driver is found with any of the inappropriate behavior then a fine of AED 1,000 and 6 black points will be imposed.
- Throwing waste material
- Driving without insurance or car registration
- Noisy vehicle
- Using expired tires
- Driving passengers illegally
- Hard shoulder overtaking
- Accident site crowding
Read Also: Dubai Mega Projects
6.Stickers on cars
One should take permission from the authorities before placing stickers on the car as it is strictly banned not just in Dubai but across UAE. A person can?t even place a Car for Sale board on his vehicle.
Navigation signs of green and blue signs can be seen if you are driving in Dubai. Green sign indicates the routes within Dubai and the blue sign for the routes connecting Dubai with other cities.
If you are thinking that you will be fined only for high speed then you should definitely read the rules and regulations of Dubai where you will also be fined for driving too slow as it will disrupt the flow of traffic and can cause severe accidents.
Read Also: Dubai Visa For Bosnia Passport Holder
White point system
To motivate the drivers to abide by the traffic rules and regulations Dubai police in 2012 introduced a white point system. Under this system, whomsoever issued a driving license by the Dubai police will be rewarded with white points if they not:
- Incur Salik and parking fines
- Commit traffic violations in Dubai
- Face traffic prosecution cases for an entire year
One can gather around 24 white points in one calendar year and can use the same once in the same calendar year for exchanging white points with black points. Canceling the impoundment of a vehicle, canceling a traffic violation which is clear of black points.
Read Also: Flavours of Dubai Culture
Do's and Dont's of Dubai driving
- Buy a local sim card to use navigators like Smart Drive and syrgic.
- Buying a specialized CD which will give you all the information about the routes in Dubai.
- Make sure your driving is legal.
- 4 Dirhams an hour should be paid while parking the vehicle. There are not any parking fees between 13:00 and 16:00 during the day.
- In case of a car accident, you should immediately call 911 and report the case to the Dubai Police.
- The speed limit should be followed.
Read Also: Dubai Visa For Bolivia Passport Holder
- Never drive without a valid driving license
- Never try to bribe the policeman
- Don't exceed the maximum driving speed
- Never use mobile phones while driving
- Never overtake on the hard shoulder
- Never drink and drive
Read Also: Dubai Culture Village
Death trolls in Dubai traffic accidents
If you ever come across any accident, then it should be immediately reported to the Dubai police so that the severity of the accident can be assessed. If the police come across an accident and feel like a claim should be given, he will issue a green slip to the victim which can be given to the insurance companies in case the vehicle needs repair.
Read Also: Dubai Vacation Reasons
Generally asked questions
Q. Apart from the driving license what other documents should I keep with me while driving on Dubai roads?
A. A person should keep the insurance documents of the vehicle along with the driving license.
Q. How to get a driving license in Dubai?
A. It depends on whether you are a tourist driving in the UAE or a citizen. The rules of using a foreign license in Dubai differ. You will be asked to show your international driving license by the rental agencies and if you are a resident an appropriate UAE driving permit should be obtained.
Read Also: Dubai Visa For Belarus Passport Holder
Q. What are the black and white points?
A. The drivers will be awarded white points if they abide by the traffic rules and regulations issued by the Dubai police failed to comply so will be given black points.
Q. How can I rent a car in Dubai if I am a tourist in the city?
A. First of all, chooses an agency from which you want to rent a car. At the meeting place, you will be asked to show your national driver's license and requisite money should be deposited which will be returned when you handover the car to the rental agency in proper condition that is without any damage.