skype and whatsapp in dubai
- Author- Priynka Admin
- Publish Date-
Skype and Whatsapp are the recent apps that everyone uses in recent times to stay connected, share photos videos, group chat and to talk to their friends and family. These apps are very useful in connecting people as it provides features like group chat, free voice and video calls and voice messages. Skype and Whatsapp are modern bridges between people. Skype and Whatsapp are used very frequently and they are sustaining the competition of the other social networking apps. They are the most popular apps to chat, make video calls, and voice calls. Generally, these two apps are used effortlessly to get in touch with people or even to compete and collaborate for work.
Skype in Dubai
Internet Service Providers (ISP’s) in Dubai (UAE) blocked skype. One cannot use skype or take advantage of the services of skype. The website of skype also does not function in Dubai or other countries of UAE. Skype does not work in Dubai at all. One will not be able to use Skype for sending messages or to call, or at least to share pictures and files.
Whatsapp in Dubai
The Dubai government has blocked a few services of Whatsapp. It is the most convenient app to help people connect. An exception to having access to Whatsapp calls and all the services of Whatsapp is to have a mobile number of your country with a data pack in it.
READ ALSO: DUBAI VISA FOR JORDAN CITIZENS
One can access Whatsapp texting but cannot make calls to people. Both voice and video calls are not permitted by the Dubai government. However, one can send or exchange video messages or audio texts through Whatsapp. So it might not be much of a concern to use Whatsapp.
READ ALSO: WHAT TO DO AFTER YOUR VISA IS REJECTED
Both Skype and Whatsapp are not permitted in Dubai. This is the rule that was bought out in the year 2018. Dubai all the other apps that empower people to get in contact with each other through video or voice calls are considered unauthorized.
READ ALSO: DUBAI VISA EXTENSION 2020
Skype and Whatsapp have the same restrictions in the Dubai International Airport (DBX) as well. One cannot get access to the Skype website or the app while in any part of Dubai. Whatsapp can be used to acquire the benefits of texting or chatting. One can even send files and photographs using Whatsapp. The case is similar to the Dubai International Airport (DBX) also.
Recent developments in Skype and Whatsapp services in Dubai
Mohamed Al Kuwaiti, the National Electronic Security Authority of the United Arab Emirates speculates that UAE might raise a ban on the calls through Whatsapp. He spoke about this in an interview of the year 2019. A specific date is not mentioned about this raise in the ban.
- During the Coronavirus pandemic and the COVID-19 lockdown of the country, many residents needed these services of Skype and Whatsapp.
- As many people around the universe were working from their homes, they used Skype and Whatsapp ardently.
- The people of Dubai also felt the need to use these apps and requested the government to consider this.
- The Telecom Regulator Industry of the UAE (United Arab Emirates) finally declared in March that free video and voice calls are allowed through a few apps.
- The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) of Dubai also enabled people to use Skype for business and Whatsapp calls to improve work from home conditions and for the expatriates or tourists stuck in the city.
- This provides a little relief after this act by the Dubai government.
- This ban on Skype and Whatsapp services that the whole world enjoys was argued for a long time.
Why did the Dubai government ban Skype and Whatsapp in the city and at the DBX?
- Whatsapp and Skype are the Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) of other countries.
- DU and Etisalat are the two major telecom companies in Dubai. To encourage and generate revenue through voice and video calls, Dubai intends to support them.
- Dubai bans these services for security reasons and to assert their dominance over the Communications and Cybersecurity in the city. As both Skype and Whatsapp provide encrypted services, Dubai believes that these apps can pose a threat to national security by not making the activities of people transparent.
- DU and Etisalat are the two companies of Dubai that launched BOTIM. It is Dubai's very own VoIP.
- BOTIM app is available in the Google Play Store or App Store. The app allows one to make video and audio calls to people.
- The person with whom you want to talk on call should also have the BOTIM app on their mobile.
- At the airport, one needs to obtain the Tourist SIM by DU or the tourist SIM’s by Etisalat.
- One can have access to the internet in Dubai only through the SIM taken from Dubai.
- The Internet is very expensive in Dubai as you can expect from the most expensive and luxurious country. One has to pay for the subscription for the BOTIM app.
- The subscription to the internet might cost you AED (United Arab Emirates Dirhams) 100.
- The app is approved by the government of Dubai.